5 grocery store treats.by caroline
Grocery shopping is a flat out main event in this girl’s life. Call me a nerd: I know some people might not feel giddy about cruising the food aisles. However, I could literally spend a few hours slowly examining the labels of new items, comparing brands and filling my cart with various goodies to try.
Above you will find five items that I am smitten with right now. If you are looking to treat yourself, then I recommend you give one of these a shot. One you can often score on sale for about $1, while others come with a heftier price tag.
Here are the deets …
- Suja juice: One of my new favorite products. In fact, if you follow me on Instagram, you will regularly spot pics of me sipping on Suja (at home, at the desk, on the go …). All of the raw juices are cold-pressed, creating a product that is high in enzymes and nutrient dense. My local Whole Foods started selling it last month and I couldn’t have been more excited. The price tag tops out at about $8.99 each when you are buying them at the store, but I try to rationalize it by balancing it with a green smoothie made at home. See if it’s sold at your store here. Or, score it online. They often feature deals, so keep your eyes peeled!
- Maca powder: Maca powder is known for helping to promote energy, and restore balance and vitality. Maca root has been used by indigenous Andean societies as a source of nourishment and healing for thousands of years. Maca has been used to fight stress, increase stamina, boost libido and combat fatigue. This product by Navitas ($17.99) is my favorite, but there are several other brands out there. You only need about 1 teaspoon at a time, so it lasts awhile. Drink it hot or cold! (See below for a recipe for Maca “Coffee”)
- Cocomama Banana Cinnamon Quinoa Cereal: I discovered this product last month when I was taking advantage of a sale at Abe’s Market. I love ingredients that are easy to identify (this one has coconut milk (water, coconut cream), wild blueberries, organic quinoa, maple syrup, vanilla extract, lemon juice, cinnamon and sea salt) and one package of this stuff makes for a filling breakfast. Other flavors include Honey Almond, Orange Cranberry and Wild Blueberry. A package of six is $23.50 at Abe’s Market, but, again, watch for promo codes! Abe’s is great with running special deals.
- KIND Bars: There’s no doubt about it that there are one too many food bars to choose from these days, but KIND ranks in my top favorites because of its whole ingredients. Like Cocomama cereal, the ingredients are always easy to identify and you can actually SEE whole nuts and other real foods. New PLUS flavors include protein, fiber and antioxidant blends. (**SEE BELOW FOR A GIVEAWAY**)
- Spirulina powder: This green powder is one of my favorite superfoods. Spirulina supports cardiovascular, eye and brain health, boosts immunity and energy. It is the most complete food source in the world with over 100 nutrients, 60% protein content, the highest levels of carotenoids, and high in antioxidants known to promote health and longevity. Make sure you score a brand that contains high quality ingredients (I like Nutrex Hawaii Pure Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica). The price tag can be a little hefty (this 16-oz. one is $28.79 on Vitacost.com), but you only need about 1 teaspoon at a time. I add mine to green smoothies or even throw a bit in to one of my raw bar recipes for an extra boost.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon maca powder
- 1 Tablespoon honey, agave or sweetener of choice
- 1/4 cup dairy-free milk, like almond, coconut or hemp
Heat water until war, (not boiling). Add all ingredients to a mug and pour water over top. Whisk until smooth. Enjoy!
Speaking of KIND bars, who wants to win some?!
I am hosting a contest for all of my blog readers to enter to win a box of KIND bars (there are 12 bars in each box; each box retails for approximately $23 each). And because I love you all so much, I am giving away TWO prizes! That means two readers will each win a box of bars. Woo hoo!
You’ll get to choose from three flavors:
So, how do you enter, right? All you have to do is comment below, telling me how you would like to take your gluten-free life to the next level. It could be something as simple as, “Well, now that I’m gluten-free, I would like to work on how much sugar I’m eating — I have a major sweet tooth!” Or, “I’m gluten-free, but it’s time to step up my fitness game!”
Earn an extra entry by tweeting about the contest and/or sharing The G-Spot’s Facebook post about the contest. If you do either one, then be sure to make a separate comment below to tell me what you did. For example, if you make a comment, tweet the contest AND share the Facebook photo, then you will earn three entries! Just comment below with my original question (How would you like to take your gluten-free life to the next level?), then also make a comment and say, “I tweeted it!” Lastly, make a third comment to say you shared the Facebook photo.
The contest ends Monday, April 22, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. EDT … so get movin’! I will pick and announce the two winners on Tuesday, April 23, 2013.