Get Down.by caroline
Whew! I just spent the last two hours with the always lovely LA Finfinger at her “Get Down, Dogg” workshop — set to hip hop music — and I am walking around like one of those inflatable wiggly guys that businesses use for advertising.
In other words … she kicked my butt.
But in a good way. I love when I am sweating so much that it begins to form a little puddle on the mat. A little sick-o? Maybe. But I’m not even going to apologize for it! A good sweat makes me feel oh-so-good even on the days when I’m not feeling my best.
Immediately after class, I showered and re-hydrated with some nuun — ahhhh, refreshing.
Today was another BUSY day, but here’s what my Pre-Game Sugar Cleanse menu looked like:
- Breakfast: Green Monster with a scoop of almond butter
- Snack: Apple
- Lunch: Homemade brown rice, potato and veggie dish, sautéed in Earth Balance Butter (recipe below).
- Snack: Good Greens Coconut Bar
- Snack (right now — while waiting for dinner): Roasted Chickpeas
- Dinner (as soon as I’m done blogging this): Stuffed Baked Potatoes (OMG-I’m-so-hungry-I-can’t-wait) with a side of roasted cauliflower.
I’m feeling good about tomorrow being the official start date of the Gluten-Free Sugar Cleanse . I am looking very forward to seeing how the cleanse will affect and renew my health as a whole. Here goes nothin’!
OK, as for the recipe, you need to make this. My sister, Amanda, and I have made this recipe a few times in an effort to make a dish similar to the Jasmine’s Rice I used to eat at Aladdin’s Eatery (it’s not gluten-free). Weirdly enough, she just blogged today about her recent takeout from Aladdin’s and it included, believe it or not, … Jasmine’s Rice!
Ready? Here it is …
Potato and Veggie Brown Rice
Keywords: stir-fry saute side entree gluten-free vegetarian whole grain vegan
- 3 Tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled, pulp removed and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups potatoes of choice, diced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- sea salt and pepper, as desired
Heat 1 Tablespoon of Earth Balance in a medium skillet pan over medium heat. When butter begins to melt, add carrots through frozen peas, and remaining 2 Tablespoons of Earth Balance. Season with sea salt and pepper, as desired. Stir constantly until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork, about 35 minutes.
Add brown rice, stirring consistently for 8-10 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
I ♥ this dish. It’s easy, filling and perfect for serving up solo or alongside a piece of grilled tofu or fish. Eat up!