Gluten-Free Rocks.by caroline
I had such a blast at the Celiac Awarness Tour, which kicked off in Pittsburgh today! There were so many wonderful vendors and food samples to try — I left feeling rather full! It was tough to take pictures, but I managed to snag a few:
She was totally awesome — whadjya expect?! — and it was a pleasure to chat with her. I, naturally picked up a copy of her latest book, Free for all Cooking: 150 Easy Gluten-Free, Allergy-Friendly Recipes the Whole Family Can Enjoy and she signed it for me in her signature color — pink!
Here’s a list of just some of the vendors I had an opportunity to learn more about:
- Good Greens Bars: Definitely adding it to my FAVORITE BARS list!
- Bakery on Main: I have had their granolas (and love them), but scored some samples of their new Truebars and instant oatmeal.
- Better Batter: This is a new one for me. I have seen their products in the grocery store, but have never purchased them. I picked up a coupon for 30% off of my next order, so I am definitely going to give their stuff a shot!
- Mim’s Kitchen: Yummy, pop-’em-in-the-oven-and-their-ready frozen, preformed cookie. Perfect for those nights when a sugar attack just doesn’t have time to wait for you to start from scratch.
- New Planet Gluten-Free Beer: Whaaaa-t?! Believe it or not, this is the first time I have sampled a gluten-free beer. While I’m not much of a beer drinker, I do like the occasional one with spicy food or on a summer-y day. This beer was great — I especially liked the Off Grid Pale Ale.
- Kettle Cuisine: Loved their ready-to-go frozen soups that you just heat up in the microwave and enjoy. Ideal for a quick lunch! The Tomato Soup with Garden Vegetables was tasty and the New England Clam Chowder was fab.
- Glutino: Their new gluten-free bread line, Genius, is just that — genius I tell you! Very good indeed.
- Bi Agult Gluten-Free Pasta: Yummy, yummy in my tummy. This pasta has the texture “real” pasta without the gluten and it tastes delish.
- Happy Belly Bags: C.U.T.E.S.T gluten- and allergy-free gifts ever. Check ’em out.
- So Delicious Dairy Free: Love their products — always and forever. The coconut milk beverages, coconut milk yogurt and Purely Decadent Peanut Butter Zig Zag frozen dessert are da’ bomb.
- Rudi’s Gluten-Free Bread: All of their gluten-free breads are great, but I am especially a fan of the cinnamon raisin bread, toasted with a little bit of butter.
- Hilary’s Eat Well: These veggie burgers are great — “meaty” and all the right spices. I definitely need to get my hands on a package!
I’m still enjoying going through my bag of goodies and, of course, I can’t wait to bake/cook some recipes from my new book! What a great way to spend the morning. Like Jules said, “Gluten-free rocks!”
That wonderful morning did, however, lead to some rather sporadic eating on my part given the fact that the rest of the day felt like I was changes to Taz the Tasmanian Devil.
I went straight from the Celiac Awareness Tour to volunteer at a local yoga expo and then straight to work. So, needless to say, I managed to forget a bit about eating — oh, yeah … eating — in the midst of all that rushing. Still, this is what my Pre-Game Sugar Cleanse day looked like:
- Breakfast: Two egg omelette with spinach mushrooms and onions, and a slice of toasted gluten-free toast with almond butter.
- Celiac Awarness Tour: Lots of samples, but not too many sweet nibbles were involved.
- Late lunch: Homemade brown rice, potato and veggie dish, sautéed in Earth Balance Butter (recipe coming tomorrow).
- Dinner: Fish sautéed in olive oil and spices, and roasted veggies.
- Right now: A bowl of Cranberry, Coconut and Cashew Crunch with almond milk.
I definitely didn’t eat enough today, but I did manage to steer fairly clear of sugar. I think I’m coming along and I’m looking forward to kicking off the Gluten-Free Sugar Cleanse Monday morning.
Hope you had a GREAT Saturday!