happy celiac awareness day!by caroline
Happy Celiac Awareness Day! What else is there to do other than celebrate the cause that has led so many of us toward healthier lives (and less time spent behind a closed bathroom door)?! Anyhoo, how about some gluten-free snacking tips from Tara DelloIacono Thies, LUNA’s Nutrition Strategist?
- Make sure to eat your vitamins. Women with gluten intolerances are more prone to mal-absorption of vitamins and nutrients such as iron, calcium, B12 and folic acid.
- Eat smaller meals frequently throughout the day. Eating five small meals a day may help relieve digestive discomfort associated with celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. Tara recommends eating a combination of protein and carbohydrates such as fruit and nuts for longer lasting satiation and energy.
- Find ways to get your fiber. Getting your recommended fiber intake without whole grains like wheat and oats can be a challenge, but fiber can be found in many other sources such as rice and fruit. Chicory and rice flour contribute to LUNA Protein bars’ three grams of fiber.
- Beware of hidden traps. Some packaged gluten free foods add sugar and fat to make up for a bland taste. Make sure to read your labels and do your research to find a healthy medium.
Love those tips from, Tara! You might also want to check out my post about why I ♥ Luna from the bottom of my gluten-free heart!
Other things to check out on Celiac Awareness Day:
- Did you know that 85% of people who have celiac disease are still undiagnosed of misdiagnosed? Share this Celiac Disease Symptoms Checklist from the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness with family and friends.
- This post by Jules Gluten Free about gluten-free cosmetics (featuring an interview by Gluten Free Beauty, Kristen Campbell). Do you react to gluten in cosmetics? Did you know the average woman consumes approximately four pounds of lipstick over a lifetime?
- These gluten-free iced oatmeal cookies by Nicole Hunn at Gluten Free on a Shoestring. O-M-to-the-freaking-G.