better-than-butter cookiesby sincerelycaroline
makes 26 cookies (Recipe adapted from Elana’s Pantry)
2 cups gum- and -gluten-free baking flour mix
1/2 cup almond flour/meal
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup vegan butter substitute, like Earth Balance Buttery Spread
1/4 cup brown rice syrup, like Lundberg Sweet Dreams® Brown Rice Syrup
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
NOTE: As with all gluten-free recipes, it is important to check individual manufacturers’ policies to ensure the safety of a product.
(1) Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare a baking pan by lining with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
(2) In a food processor, place flour mixture, almond meal and salt; pulse briefly. Add butter substitute, brown rice syrup and vanilla. Pulse until ingredients are well blended.
(3) Roll dough into two separate balls and place on parchment paper or plastic wrap. Cover each ball of dough with another piece of paper or plastic and roll out until ⅛-inch thick. Place flat in freezer for 30 minutes.
(4) Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter (or a heart-shaped cookie cutter like I did) cut out cookies.
(5) Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until golden brown on edges. Remove from oven and allow cookies to sit on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, as desired.