black forest cupcakesby sincerelycaroline
makes 24 cupcakes
2-1/8 cups gluten-free baking flour mix, plus more for dusting
2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup safflower oil
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 14-ounce can pitted sour cherries
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup confectioners sugar
Use a pastry decorator with a “star” tip to place the topping on the cupcakes; if you do not have one, then just use a smooth icing spatula to spread evenly.
(1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190.5 degrees C). Grease and flour two 12-cup muffin pans or use muffin papers to line the cups.
(2) In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 cups sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil, and 1 Tablespoon vanilla; beat until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pans.
(3) Bake for 35 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Loosen edges (unless using muffin papers), and remove to racks to cool completely.
Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Combine reserved juice, cherries, 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in a 2 quart saucepan. Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cool before using.
(4) Combine whipping cream and confectioner’s sugar in a chilled medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
(5) When cupcakes have cooled, use a long serrated knife to cut a small hole out of the top of each cupcake and place tops aside. Place the cherry filling in each hole (about 1 Tablespoon – 1-1/2 Tablespoons each) and then put the tops back on the cupcakes. If you are using a pastry decorator, then prepare it by filling the tube with the whipped topping. Squeeze over each cupcake, starting from the outside edge and circle toward the center. If you are using a pastry spatula, then spread topping evenly on each cupcake. Spoon remaining cherry topping onto the center of each cupcake.
Note: This recipe is gluten-free. (If you have allergies or food sensitivities, always check specific manufacturer’s products for allergens and/or cross-contamination issues.) For specific product suggestions, see full blog post.