broccoli & carrots cheddar lasagnaby sincerelycaroline
Total time: 35-40 minutes
10 oz. gluten-free lasagna noodles, prepared al dente
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup broccoli, stems removed and diced
3/4 cup carrots, peeled and diced
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1 teaspoon sea salt
2-1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
1 cup milk
1/4 cup gum- and gluten-free baking flour mix
6 thin slices of fresh mozzarella cheese or 1/2 cup, grated
NOTE: Save the broccoli stems for the next time you juice!
(1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare noodles according to package recommendations for al dente pasta. When finished cooking, rinse with cold water and set aside.
(2) Warm olive oil over medium heat in a medium saute pan. Add broccoli, carrots and onion. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
(3) Combine ricotta cheese, 1 cup cheddar cheese, egg and remaining 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, stirring until well combined. Set aside.
(4) In a small saucepan, heat flour, 1 cup of cheese and milk over low to medium heat, whisking constantly until thickened and there are no lumps. (Stir, stir, stir!) Remove from heat.
(5) Pour 1/3 of cheese sauce in bottom of a 13×9 baking dish. Top with a layer of lasagna noodles (about 4 lasagna noodles per layer). Top noodles with 1/2 of the ricotta mixture. Top ricotta mixture with 1/2 of the vegetable mixture. Top vegetable mixture with 1/3 of cheese sauce. Repeat the process, ending with remaining 1/3 of cheese sauce. Top the cheese sauce with a layer of noodles. Place mozzarella on top of noodles, then sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
(6) Bake for 35-40 minutes, until top of lasagna turns golden brown. Allow to settle for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.