chocolate sugar cookies with icingby sincerelycaroline
makes approximately 24 medium cookies (depends on cookie cutter)
2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 Tablespoons warm water
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup white rice flour
2/3 cup almond meal
1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon arrowroot starch
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup natural applesauce
1/2 cup safflower oil
1 cup vegan sugar
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons vegan butter substitute, like Earth Balance
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups confectioners sugar
2 Tablespoons dairy-free milk
food coloring, as desired
(1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prepare two baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
(2) Mix together the flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl and allow it to sit for a few minutes.
In a separate bowl, sift brown rice flour, white rice flour, almond meal, arrowroot starch, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt. Set aside.
(3) In a medium bowl “cream” together the applesauce, safflower oil, sugar, flaxseed meal combination and vanilla, beating with a standing or hand mixer until fluffy. Stir in vanilla.
(4) Slowly add dry ingredients slowly to wet mixture, stirring well with a wooden spoon or spatula until combined.
Store dough in an airtight container and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
(5) After dough has chilled, remove from refrigerator and prepare a flat working surface by dusting with gluten-free flour. (You may also want to dust the rolling pin and your hands a bit.) Put the dough on the surface and begin flattening with a rolling pin. Roll out dough until it is about 1/4-inch to 1/3-inch thick.
(6) Press desired cookie cutters into dough, cutting the dough the entire way through and removing excess dough around shapes. You may have to repeat the rolling process one or two times in order to use all of the dough.
(7) Bake cookies for 12 minutes, rotating the tray halfway through the bake time. Allow cookies to cool on the tray for 10 minutes and then move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
(8) In a small bowl, beat the Earth Balance and vanilla with a hand mixer until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time, continuing to beat at medium speed. Add milk one Tablespoon at a time, beating until icing is fluffy and smooth.
(9) If coloring icing, divide into separate bowls accordingly and add food coloring to achieve desired colors. Smooth icing on top of cookies with a offset spatula.