eggplant roll-upsby sincerelycaroline
Makes 12 roll-ups; recipe courtesy of Carol Fenster, Ph.D.
2 small eggplants, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices (total of 12 slices)
1 cup nonfat cream cheese or vegan cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup grated low-fat mozzarella cheese or vegan cheese, divided
3/4 cup fresh basil, divided
1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano, or 2 Tablespoons dried
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, or 2 Tablespoons dried
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese or soy Parmesan, divided
2 large garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups marinara sauce
(1) Preheat the broiler. Line a 10×15-inch baking sheet with parchment paper and coat it with cooking spray. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
(2) Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the baking sheet. Broil them until they are lightly browned on one side only and tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool while making the filling. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
(3) In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup of the basil, the oregano, parsley, pine nuts, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, the garlic, and the salt and pepper until well blended.
(4) Spread half of the marinara sauce in the bottom of the baking dish.
(5) Place the eggplant slices, browned side down, on a smooth surface. With a spatula, spread 2 Tablespoons of the filling lengthwise down the center of each slice. Roll up, starting at the short ends.
(6) Place the eggplant roll-ups, seam side down, on the sauce. Pour the remaining marinara sauce over the roll-ups and use a pastry brush to make sure the tops of each are coated with sauce.
(7) Bake, covered, until the sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan over the roll-ups and bake, uncovered, until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. If using non-dairy cheese, broil the dish about 6 to 8 inches from the heat source until the cheese melts. Serve immediately, garnished with the remaining 1/4 cup chopped basil.
Calories 360 – Fat 15g – Protein 24g – Carbohydrates 36g – Cholesterol 20 mg – Sodium 1348 mg – Fiber 10g