kid-friendly banana oatmeal mini muffinsby caroline
makes 12 mini muffins
1 flax “egg” (1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 Tablespoons warm water)
2 medium very ripe bananas
1 cup gluten-free rolled oats, divided
2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt (1/8 teaspoon)
(1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease (I used coconut oil) a 12-cup mini muffin pan and set aside.
(2) In a small bowl, whisk together the flaxseed meal and water to create your flax “egg” and set aside, allowing it to sit for five minutes.
(3) Peel bananas and place into a medium bowl. Mash with a fork, leaving small chunks for texture. Set aside.
(4) Place 3/4 cup of rolled oats in a food processor and pulse until a flour forms (small pieces of oats may remain). Add oat flour to mashed bananas, in addition to the remaining 1/4 cup rolled oats. Stir to combine.
(5) Add flax “egg” to banana and oat mixture, stirring again to combine. Add coconut oil, cinnamon and sea salt to the bowl, stirring well to thoroughly combine.
(6) Scoop mixture into prepared muffin cups, filling to the top (these muffins don’t rise much).
(7) Bake for 10-12 minutes until the tops turn golden brown and a toothpick inserted through the center comes out clean.
(8) Allow muffins to cool in pan for five minutes, then use a butter knife to run along edges and loosen. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
(9) Enjoy! Claire definitely did (I did too!) …