mint chocolate chip cakeby sincerelycaroline
2 sticks of unsalted butter (regular or vegan alternative)
2 cups of granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup of milk (regular or dairy-free alternative)
1 Tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
2-1/8 cups of gum- and gluten-free baking flour mix
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1-1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 teaspoons of baking soda
1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
1-1/2 cups confectioners sugar
2 Tablespoons milk (regular or dairy-free alternative)
1 Tablespoon butter (regular or dairy-free alternative)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
2 drops green food coloring (optional)
6 – 8 gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies, broken into chunks
1/2 cup gluten-free chocolate chips, chopped
(1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease (I used butter) and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
(2) In a standing mixer or large bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy (about 4 – 5 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, until everything is combined.
(3) Combine the milk and vanilla in a small bowl, and in another bowl sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
(4) Turn the mixer on low speed and slowly add the milk and flour mixtures, alternating between the two until both are completely added. Mix until well combined. (Do not over-mix.)
(5) Spoon the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 45 – 50 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Loosen edges, and remove to racks to cool completely.
(6) While layers are cooling, prepare icing by adding them to a small bowl in the order listed. Beat until well combined and smoothed. Additional sugar may be needed if frosting is too thin.
(7) Prepare bottom layer by spreading with 1/3 of the frosting and topping with crushed gluten-free cookies. Place second layer on top, and then spread remaining 2/3 of icing on top and on the sides of the entire cake. Top iced cake with chocolate chips and press into sides.
Note: This recipe is gluten-free. (If you have allergies or food sensitivities, always check specific manufacturer’s products for allergens and/or cross-contamination issues.)