pumpkin pecan doughnutsby sincerelycaroline
Makes 12 doughnuts
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1 cup tapioca starch/flour
1/2 cup pecans
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
8 tablespoons vegan butter substitute, like Earth Balance
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ cup vegan sour cream substitute, like Tofutti
1/4 cup 100 % pure pumpkin purée
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
for caramel glaze
see these instructions
** No time to make a caramel glaze? Try a quick glaze by mixing 1 cup confectioner’s sugar with 2 Tablespoons warm water in a bowl, then drizzle over doughnuts!
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make sure oven rack is placed in the middle position. Grease a 12-cup doughnut pan (or two 6-cup doughnut pans) and set aside.
(2) Measure brown rice, almond and tapioca flours into a medium bowl, whisking to combine. Set aside.
(3) Place pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon in the bowl of a food processor, pulsing until combined, about 10 seconds. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and set aside.
(4) If bowl was removed to transfer the cinnamon mixture, then reassemble the food processor. Next, add the flour mixture, granulated sugar, and salt, pulsing until combined, about 5-10 seconds. Sprinkle the butter evenly over the flour mixture and pulse for an additional 10-15 seconds. Remove a 1/2 cup of the flour-butter mixture and use a fork to stir it into the reserved cinnamon mixture; this is the streusel. Set aside.
(5) Returning to the food processor, add the baking powder and baking soda to the remaining flour mixture, pulsing for about 5-10 seconds. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, pumpkin and vanilla, then add to the flour mixture. Pulse mixture until the batter is just moistened, about 10 seconds. Add 3/4 cup of the streusel to the batter, pulsing about 10 seconds or until thoroughly combined.
(6) Using a spatula or large spoon, transfer the batter to the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the remaining streusel on the muffins, about a Tablespoon each. Lightly press the topping into each doughnut, so the streusel sinks a bit into the batter.
(7) Bake about 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted toward the center of a doughnut comes out clean (some of the streusel might cling to the toothpick, so don’t mistake it for batter).
(8) While doughnuts are baking, prepare the caramel topping.
(9) Allow doughnuts to cool in pan for about 10 minutes. Place a sheet of parchment paper underneath a wire baking rack, then transfer doughnuts to the rack. (Use a butter knife to loosen the edges of the doughnuts before removing.)
(10) Allow caramel topping to cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then drizzle on top of muffins. (If you let it sit for too long, then it will begin to harden. If this happens, heat caramel over low heat and continuously whisk until it softens.)
(11) Doughnuts are best served warm. Enjoy!