roasted yam & arugula saladby sincerelycaroline
1 large yam, diced
1-2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
3 cups fresh arugula
1/4 cup coarsely chopped raw walnuts
shredded cheese of choice, as desired (optional)**
traditional balsamic dressing
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1-2 cloves garlic or shallot, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or oregano (optional)
**NOTE: Suggested shredded cheeses include Parmesan, a goat’s or sheep’s milk hard cheese or a dairy-free option.
(1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spread diced yams evenly on a medium baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, tossing to evenly coat. Sprinkle sea salt and rosemary on top. Roast 25-30 minutes, until yams begin to brown.
(2) While yams are roasting, distribute arugula evenly amongst two plates, then set aside.
(3) Spread walnuts evenly on a small baking sheet. When yams are done roasting, set aside to cool a bit, then place walnuts in the oven for 6-7 minutes.
(4) While walnuts are roasting, prepare dressing by mixing all ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
(5) Remove walnuts from oven and distribute evenly on top of prepared arugula plates. Repeat with yams and dressing. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of salads as desired, then serve.