savory rainbow quinoa saladby sincerelycaroline
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted
2 cups cooked quinoa
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons honey or agave syrup
1 cup dried cranberries, soaked and drained
1 cup canned garbanzo beans
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup mixed bell peppers (red, yellow, orange), diced
1/2 cup green onions, diced
2 Tablespoons minced fresh sage
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread walnuts or pecans evenly on a baking sheet. Toast for 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
(2) Prepare quinoa according to package directions, then set aside, allowing to cool completely.
(3) In a small bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and honey. Set aside.
(4) Place cranberries in a medium bowl and cover with water, allowing to soften for 10 minutes. Drain excess water and set aside.
(5) In a separate medium bowl, combine prepared quinoa, garbanzo beans, celery, peppers, green onions and sage, stirring to combine. Mix in nuts and cranberries. Drizzle with apple cider vinegar mixture and toss before serving. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Tip! Rinse and drain quinoa before cooking to remove saponin, a coating that gives quinoa a bitter, soap-like taste.