strawberry mini cupcakes with lemon icingby sincerelycaroline
36 mini cupcakes
1 flaxseed “egg” (1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed meal mixed with 3 Tablespoons warm water)
300 grams (about 2-1/2 cups) gum- and gluten-free baking mix
2/3 cup granulated vegan sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
zest of 1 medium lemon
1/2 cup dairy-free butter substitute, like Earth Balance Buttery Spread
4 ounces gluten-free, vegan cream cheese substitute, like Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese Spread
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/2 cup dairy-free milk substitute (consider almond or coconut milk)
1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
112 grams (about 1/2 cup) dairy-free butter substitute, like Earth Balance Buttery Spread
200 grams (about 2 cups) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
juice of 1/2 a medium lemon
(1) Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare mini cupcake pans by lining cups with paper or brushing with oil. Set aside.
(2) Prepare flaxseed mixture by rapidly stirring together flaxseed meal and warm water in a small bowl. Set aside.
(3) Mix 2-1/4 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, sea salt and lemon zest together in a medium bowl.
(4) Using a food processor or hand mixer, “cream” together the butter, cream cheese and flour mixture until just combined. In a separate bowl, stir together the vanilla extract, maple syrup and milk. Slowly add the milk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until combined.
(5) In a small bowl, coat the strawberries with the remaining 1/4 cup of flour. Fold the strawberries into the batter.
(6) Scoop batter into muffin cups, filling the cup 3/4 full. Bake for 25-26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely on a baking rack.
(7) While cupcakes are baking, prepare the icing. Mix together the butter substitute, confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice until lumps are removed. Refrigerate until ready to use.