carrot cake & coconut cookiesby sincerelycaroline
Makes 12 cookies
1/4 cup almond flour
2 Tablespoons coconut flour
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons brown rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 flax “egg” (1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal +3 Tablespoons warm water)
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1/4 cup dairy-free milk (coconut, almond, hemp, etc.)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup finely grated carrots
1/2 cup gluten-free oats
2 Tablespoons chopped dried figs
cream cheese & coconut topping
1/3 cup vegan and gluten-free cream cheese substitute
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3-4 Tablespoons dairy-free milk
unsweetened, shredded coconut (for sprinkling on top)
Notes: No figs? Trade ’em for raisins instead! Oh, and be sure to check all manufacturers’ labels for specific gluten-free labeling/standards for all ingredients.
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat, and set aside.
(2) Combine all flours (almond, coconut, brown rice and potato starch), sea salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Set aside.
(3) Mix together the flaxseed meal and wage in a small bowl and allow it to sit for a few minutes.
(4) In a medium bowl, beat together the sugars and grape seed oil until well combined, about 1 minute. Mix in flaxseed mixture, milk and vanilla, then add flour mixture. Stir in carrots, oats and figs until evenly combined.
(5) Drop dough by the rounded Tablespoon onto cookie sheet, leaving about 1 inch between each cookie. Lightly press down the center of each cookie before placing in oven. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer to a wire baking rack to cool completely.
(6) While cookies are baking, prepare icing. Beat cream cheese, confectioners sugar, vanilla and milk in a medium bowl until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cooled cookies, then sprinkle coconut on top. Serve and enjoy!