grain-free chocolate chip muffinsby sincerelycaroline
After posting yesterday’s Blueberry Muffins, I was inspired to use that recipe to create these Chocolate Chip Muffins. This recipe dairy- and gluten-free, but it’s also grain-free, leaning on coconut and almond flours to make a delicious batter. Blueberries and cinnamon crumb topping make it a yummy treat for a cozy weekend morning!
makes 6 muffins | gluten-free, grain-free & dairy-free
3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons almond meal
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
3 Tablespoons pure honey
1/2 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup dairy-free milk (e.g. coconut, almond, etc.)
3/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips, like Enjoy Life brand
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
1/4 cup almond meal
3 Tablespoons softened coconut oil (not melted; just room temperature)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
(1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 6-cup muffin pan (or 6 cups in a 12-cup muffin pan) with coconut oil or line with unbleached muffin liners.
(2) Combine 3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons almond meal, 1/4 cup coconut flour, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in a medium bowl, whisking lightly to combine.
(3) In a separate bowl, place eggs and coconut oil, again whisking lightly to combine. Stir into dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add honey, vanilla and milk, mixing until thoroughly combined and there are no lumps. Fold in chocolate chips.
(4) In a small bowl, add all ingredients for crumb topping (coconut sugar through nutmeg), mashing against sides of bowl with a fork until it is combined and becomes a crumb-like topping.
(5) Fill prepared muffing cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
(6) Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in pan for 10 minutes in pan before transferring to a baking rack to cool completely. You can also serve them when they are warm with a pat of regular or dairy-free butter!